Re: [CBQ] Saudi Arabia

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Saudi Arabia
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 19:42:28 +1300
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Craig

If you hunt through the archives, you'll find several posts on this subject,
including the following from (I believe) Dave Lotz -

"Recent information has recently surfaced in my research on  the '36 DZ
regarding the cars that went to Saudi Arabia.  According to a May 1, 1977
New York Times article, 21 Zephyr cars were then in regular service on three
separate trains, each consisting of a pair of coaches, two sleepers, a
diner-obs and a power/baggage car, the other three cars used during times of
heavy traffic.

The "Saudi Zephyrs" were assigned to a 350-mile run between the Persian gulf

port of Dammam and the Saudi capital of Riyadh.  With intermediate stops at

Abqaiq, Hofuf, Ain-Hardah and Al-Karj the Zephyrs are limited to a maximum

of 60 mph and make the run in about seven hours.

The article mentions the Denver Zephyr and the Train of the Gods as the

trains sold.  The NZ cars sold were:

Apollo - Baggage/Lounge/Aux. power

Neptune - Coach

Mars - Coach

Vulcan - Diner

Mercury - Parlor

Cupid - Dinette/Coach

Jupiter - Observation

Ed DeRouin recently donated information to the BRHS archives that tell us

the DZ cars that were sold:

Silver Courier - Baggage/Mail/Aux Power

Silver Bar - Baggage/Dorm/Lounge

Silver Bell - Dinette/Coach

Silver City - Coach

Silver Lake - Coach

Silver Grill - Diner

Silver Skates - 12 Section Sleeper

Silver Screen - 12 section Sleeper

Silver Tone - 12 section Sleeper

Silver Threads - 6-3-1 Sleeper

Silver Slipper - 4-4-4-1-1 Sleeper

Silver Flash - Observation

With these 12 cars and the 7 from the NZ Gods, that accounts for 19 of the
21 cars.  However the article mentions three trainsets with six cars each.
This would account for:

3 of the 3 power/baggage cars (assuming Silver Bar had HEP added?)

6 of the 6 coaches (let's assume the 2 dinette/coaches became full coaches)

5 of the 6 sleepers

2 of the 3 observation cars

So, the mystery cars are the 6th sleeper, the 3rd obs and three other cars?

What did they do with the two diners not mentioned in the article?  Any

ideas?"

Does anyone have an update on this subject?

Rupert Gamlen

Auckland NZ