[CBQ] Re: Converted Troop Sleepers in MOW service

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Converted Troop Sleepers in MOW service
From: "Tom Mack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 02:25:30 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Charlie:

Sorry about that, meant to say Kitchen cars not Sleepers.

There is a photo of one in Mike Spoor's color guide (p. 115) of MOW
car 250088 (ex 8848), but its still in green. Interestingly, it is one
of the eight converted to the wider door that was assigned to Kable
Printing in Mt. Morris (which I am modeling). Spoor's book states
"Many of the baggage express cars ended up in maintenance-of-way
service." Unfortunately, only one picture in the book. I just bought
an undec Walthers model and would like to paint it into MOW orange.

Bill Diven has sent me a scan of one in MOW orange that he shot at
Oregon in 1970. He said the paint was "almost wet" when he shot it.
You can't read the number but can tell it is a 6 digit MOW number
starting with a '2'. No other lettering other than the number is
visible on the car. It is clearly in a Q work train. Anyway, Bill said
he will check the original print and let me know the number (thanks Bill).

And to anyone else out there that has or knows of any other pictures
of ex-Kitchen cars in MOW Orange, I'm still waiting! :-)

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH