Re: [CBQ] Three St. Joseph, MO area questions

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com, cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Three St. Joseph, MO area questions
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 23:33:28 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Tom:

Here are your answers....

1.  The line from Hannibal to St. Joe was the original line..It was  the
primary line until the Kansas City cutoff was built in 1952.  The Q had  no
direct
route from Chicago to KC until then.  There were no KC direct  passenger
trains...The American Royal No. 55 and 56 were night trains that  operated
between
St. Joe and Chicago..  There was a motor car connection  from Kansas City to
Cameron Jct. with these trains...The Q operated between  Cameron Jct and
Kansas City over partially its own line and via trackage rights  over the
Wabash..
There was just a local..Maybe even just tri weekly  between Cameron and KC
until 1952 when the cutofff opened.  After 1952  there was expedited freight
service between KC and Chicago over the cutoff..The  primary freight train was
No. 77 and was called the Gray Ghost..after Red Grange  the football
player...All of this from memory....others who are more detail  minded can fill
in the
details.

2.  The line running NE out of St. Joe was known as the Chariton  Branch.  It
left a small yard which was (still is) just south of Monterey  St., just
south of the old Union Station near what was a Dannen Mills elevator  and
angled
northeast.  You can still follow it pretty well out to where it  would have
crossed I 29 just north of Missouri Western (or whatever it's called  now)
college.  It went north through Helena Cosby, King City, Darlington  Albany,
Bethany
Davis City, Humeston Derby..that's not all the towns, but just  the ones that
come to mind as I "wing" this answer.  There was a line that  left the main
Chariton Branch at Albany Jct., (just south of Albany) and went  north through
Gentry, Worth, Grant City, Delphos, Redding, Irena, Mt Ayr,  Kellerton (home
of Harry Bedwell) Lamoni where it joined the Chariton Branch and  what was
originally called Bethan Junction, then TOGO until WWII and then in the  latter
days was called Giles..After W. F. Giles, long time Q official..This line  was
called "THE DIRTY SIDE" of the Chariton Branch..The main line of the branch
was called THE STRAIGHT SIDE.

3.  The Creston Branch left the St. Joe P. Jct Sub at Amazonia and  went
north  through Savanna, Bolckow, Barnard, Rosendale, Maryville,  Hopkins,
Bedford,
Merle Jct. Conway, Lenox (Nicely restored depot there) Kent  and joined the
mainline at Creston.

As to the Rock Port Langdon and Northern...I have no idea what kind of  power
would be used today..However I can accurately state that no internal
combustion engine motive power ever touched the RPL&N rails.

I get to St. Joe occasionally.  If you're interested I can give you a  guided
tour of St. Joe and environs.

You're dealing with my home territory, so fire away with whatever questions
you might have and you might get more information than you really want.

Pete