Re: [CBQ] Atlas HO CB&Q/C&S U30C

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Atlas HO CB&Q/C&S U30C
From: Ben de Vries <ben1.vries@planet.nl>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:55:54 +0100
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dale,
The SD-40 sideframes were subject in this forum earlier on. For your
convenience I will repeat the message from Robert H Whitlach
dated 28th Febr.2001:
<The biggest visable failing of the Kato SD40 as a C&S unit is the truck
sideframes. The C&S units had the earlier SD truck  like is
<on a SD7 or SD9. LifeLike sells the truck sideframes for their SD7/9 as a
seperate item. They only require minimum alteration of
<the mounting stud to fit the Kato truck frame. Makes a world of difference
in the appearance of the engine and it really becomes a C&S.>
Your question about the red/white noselight also has popped up before. Again
I will quote an earlier message from Ed DeRouin dated
18 Juli 2000:
<BTW the Q units used oscillating lamps made by the Mars Light Co., and not
Gyralights. The oscillating headlights moved in a
<horizontal  figure eight pattern and could be placed in a stationary
position if needed. Normally on the Q, the white Marslight was
<used at night, during inclement weather, and when ever the engineer chose,
often whenever the train was in motion. They were not
<used in yards or areas without grade crossings, like east of Cicero. The
red lights were automatically activated by an emergency
<brake application or manually by the engineer as additional  flag type
protection.>
In a message dated 18 Juli 2000 Bob Campbell wrote: <Modelong-wise, I can't
picture a need to "light" the red Mars light, other
<than when the locomotive would derail and hit the floor; should be battery
operated then.>
Looking at photos you only occasionally see a burning white Marslight, for
instance C&S U30C #891 with train 75 passing the
Rio Grande/RI depot in Colorado Springs in 1969 (RMJ Aug '91, page 36)  and
U30B 151, SD9 820 and GP 20 BN2056, all
on beet trains in 1970 (see BB #32).
Hope this helps!
Ben de Vries, Holland