Re: [CBQ] Speedometers on Zephyrs

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Speedometers on Zephyrs
From: Jim Warsher <jaswar@sover.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:42:50 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bob and list:

It was not necessary to have speedometers within view of the public, or
employes, aboard passenger equipment. The conductor carried an accurate
watch which was inspected by a railroad watch inspector [at least] every
180 days. This watch was usually set daily by comparison with a standard
clock which latter was normally set to be one second fast. Working
timetables gave a table which furnished the conductor or anyone else,
employe or official, given [minutes and] seconds between mileposts, the
accurately determined the train speed. The Interstate Commerce Commerce
Commission safety inspectorate though so highly of this portable and
accurate method of computing speed that the method was admissible as
evidence in any official I.C.C. procedure as well as in a Court of Law.

The in-car speedometer was merely an entertaining mechanical toy in
those passenger car public spaces that displayed one. The dubious
accuracy of these devices was of neither utility nor consequence to any
railroad employes aboard the train.

Jim Warsher
Rutland, Vt.
--

Bob Webber wrote:

> Does anyone know of speedometers within Zephyr cars (in this case
> either the last Denver Zephyr or California Zephyr cars) that were
> accessed or viewed by the conductors?  Did the conductor's office on
> the CZ dome coach w/conductor's office have instrumentation?  Does
> anyone recall ANY Zephyr car with speedometers in them?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bob Webber

>     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy).
http://us.click.yahoo.com/r7D80C/dlQLAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM