[CBQ] Pioneer Zephyr Questions

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Pioneer Zephyr Questions
From: "Dave Lotz" <dave_lotz@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:19:15 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Get your research hats on - I?m looking for nits today!

Looking at the photos of 9900 in the various books I have, there are
variations in the headlight and tail light configurations.  I?m trying to
figure out what changes were made and when.

>From BB13 I see that the mars light was added to the 9900 late 1947 early
1948.  The headlight was left in the original position and the mars light
added above.

Was the higher light fixture added to the tail car at the same time?  Photo
of 9900 on page 65 of Al Holck?s 4WW Color Pictorial Vol 1 shows the high
tail light in October 1949.  Red lens on the bottom, clear light on the top.

There is a photo of 9900?s 4/9/50 wreck on page 37 of BB13 ? in it the mars
light appears to have a darker lens (was this red?) and the photo of the
20th anniversary on page 41 shows the same ? does anybody have an idea when
this happened?

The other two photos of 9900 on page 41 show that by 1960 the single lens in
both casings had been replaced by twin beam fixtures.  The upper light still
appears to be a mars light with the red lens on the bottom ? does anybody
have an idea when this happened?

Please post all replies to the list so all can see!

Thanks for your help.

Dave Lotz
St. Louis

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM