[CBQ] October 1, 2005 Bertram (Iowa) Bash

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] October 1, 2005 Bertram (Iowa) Bash
From: "Darren" <GEU30CG@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:36:42 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hello everyone.  Forgive the cross posting.

We want to invite everyone to our Bertram Bash 4, SATURDAY October 1,
2005.  This is a combined MNRail and Cedar Rapids Area Railfan
Association (CRARA) joint gathering.  If you came to any of the
previous meets, you will recall the great time we all had!  This year
looks to be similar.

We will gather at the Bertram, Iowa township Hall anytime after
10:30am.  Join us at any time that day. Bertram is located about nine
miles East of Cedar Rapids ? One mile north of Highway 30 & Highway
151 (Highway 13) interchange. Turn east off Highway 13 / 151 just
north of the Union Pacific Railroad overpass, and the town is about a
mile to the east.  The Hall is right in the middle of town on Angle
and East Alley Street.  The grounds are next to the busy east-west
line of the Union Pacific (ex CNW) tracks.   Average number of trains
in a 24-hour period is about 70.

If you need a specific map, contact Darren (GEU30CG@aol.com) for an
easy downloadable *.gif file.

Bertram is a picturesque little community at the foot of the "Mount
Vernon Hill" - a ruling grade eastward as the tracks climb away from
the Cedar River Valley.  There are a number of scenic curves and
angles for photographing trains in both directions all day within
five miles each direction.  Bertram also marks the beginning of the
CTC section of mainline in the Cedar Rapids area so it is not
uncommon for trains to be waiting to enter the controlled section.

The Bertram Hall will be a "headquarters" for the activities of the
day.  We will have TV/VCR available and running for the day.  If you
wish to share some home video ? please bring it!  A simple concession
stand will be available for drinks and munchies at a very reasonable
price throughout the day including lunch and dinner grilled meals.
(To help with planning, if you could please respond with approximate
number of people for each meal to Darren GEU30CG@aol.com by Thursday
Sept 25th.)  There will be tables available if you wish to display
your model projects, photo albums, memorabilia, etc.

Just to the south of the Hall, toward the UP, is a nice open area
adjacent to the Bertram Municipal Building that will be excellent for
viewing trains all day and photos later in the afternoon.  The City
of Bertram has given permission for anyone to park in the city
parking lot.  There are large shade trees next to the parking lot
where you can set up lawn chairs.  The owner of the grassy mowed
field between the city parking lot and the tracks has given our group
permission to use her property.  You might want to bring a lawn chair
for yourself

There is a detector that gives warning for eastward movements and
grade crossings that warn of westward movements.

Radio frequencies are
161.040 - UP Road East of Fairfax.
160.890 - UP Road west of Fairfax.
160.455 - UP Engineering.
161.175 - MOW / Yard.
160.320 - Yard

As the evening draws, we will begin a marathon slide presentation
where everyone is invited to share 60-80 slides or about 25 minutes
worth of programming.  We will also have a stack loader and tray
available.  The slide programs are a huge success with various
subjects.  We will sign up on a first come basis.  Everyone will have
the chance to fill a slot.

You are welcome to bring spouse, friends, kids, etc to join in the
train watching activities and meals.  There will be no charge to
attend the meet.   We will have a donation can to defray the cost of
the hall.

If you wish to spend the night, there are ample motel accommodations
in Cedar Rapids, and one in Mount Vernon

As an added weekend bonus, the University of Iowa will again be
running their home game football train on the Iowa Interstate on
Saturday.  Again this year, it will be the Rio Grande Ski train.

The Cedar Rapids Railfan's group will welcome the MNRailers and any
other guests with an interest in railroads, so please come out for a
day of train watching, fellowship and photos.  Please feel free to
forward this message to any interested people.  We look forward to
seeing and meeting new friends.  Join us for Bertram Bash 4.
Saturday October 1, from 10:30am until the slide program ends!

Railroadingly yours,

Darren Ferreter, President
Cedar Rapids Area Railfan Association.
319-573-8559 Cell
GEU30CG@aol.com

Allan Hunt
319-624-3132
aohunt@hotmail.com

Help tsunami villages rebuild at GlobalGiving. The real work starts now.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/njNroD/KbOLAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM