[CBQ] Re: Challenger Imports

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Challenger Imports
From: "jobbox123" <jobbox123@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:33:59 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
They did some superior models: my 1955 empire builder and North coast
limiteds - of which I have a few cars in an add-on set - are very well
executed.

However, brass is really on the way out: the products that can be
produced in plastic with more modern techniques are less expensive and
of equal quality. Take a look at the new genesis F units, and the new
California Zephyr from Broadway Limited and you can get an idea of
where the industry is headed.

The simple fact is that there probably is demand for a prototypicaly
accurate passenger train at a sub 1000.00 price point whereas the
demand at the 4000.00 price point is much, much smaller.

Brass never really operated well out of the box without a lot of
tweaking: the plastic models just run much better in most cases.
Combine operation with prototypical correctness and its tough to argue
the case for producing brass.

I think they saw the writing on the wall - what with the long product
cycle times and expense - and decided it was a good time to exit.

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Paul K." <kozys@i...> wrote:
> Saw this on another list and knew some here would be interested.
> --
> "Paul (Kossart) - The CB&Q Guy"
>  Peru, IL *USA*
> (Modeling 1960's in HO.)

> Not sure how many have seen or heard about this, it appears Challenger
> Imports Ltd. (CIL) is closing down
> http://www.challengerimports.com/
>
> I have two superb brass passenger trains imported by CIL in 1999:  The
> California Zephyr, and 1955 version of the Coast Daylight.
Exceptionally
> well executed, they are the pride of my HO scale collection.  But
don't get
> me wrong, I operate both trains from time to time,  they don't just
sit in
> the box or on a shelf.
>
> Anyway, sad news for a classy operation.

Help Sudanese refugees rebuild their lives through GlobalGiving.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/hjNroD/EbOLAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM