Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2505

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2505
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:37:13 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Russ,

Thanks for the explanation. I learn something almost every time I read
this list!

Bill Barber

On Thursday, August 25, 2005, at 06:10  AM, CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:

>    Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:51:13 -0500
>    From: Russell Strodtz <19main@groundcontrol.us>
> Subject: Re: Digest Number 2504
>
> Bill,
>
> This was the way things were handled in 1959.
>
> #73, which was the main Westbound pickup at Congress Park,
> depending on what year you are talking about, terminated at
> either South Omaha or Council Bluffs. It was not a Lincoln
> train. In 1959, to the best of my knowledge, the BRE cleaning
> track at Pacific Jct had not even been built yet, thus none
> of the cars on these trains are destined to Pacific Jct.
>
> From a financial standpoint who handled the empties was
> important as reefers were on a time/mileage per diem basis
> and someone had to pay that bill.
>
> In 1959 the Grand Island connection with UP was not handling
> any through traffic. At about the same time that the schedules
> were changed to make that happen most UP-C&NW interchange
> shifted to Fremont. Council Bluffs was being routed around and
> it still is today. BNSF to IC coal trains are interchanged at
> Sioux City to avoid UP's bridge fees.
>
> After that change was made PFE started to put pressure on the
> Eastern roads to accumulate and block Westbound PFE empties
> and route them via the C&NW. While this was not exactly beneficial
> to the C&NW it's what the UP wanted and they got their way. As to
> the PFE loaner cars they pretty much continued to move reverse
> route. During the Summer and Fall we would continue to get the
> BAR's or whatever while the PFE's went to the C&NW.
>
> Russ

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hhoi9c4/M=362131.6882500.7825259.1493532/D=groups/S=1706043004:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1125020245/A=2889190/R=0/SIG=10r90krvo/*http://www.thebeehive.org
">Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy) Welcome to the Sweet
Life - brought to you by One Economy</a>.</font>