Re: [CBQ] Lantern Uses and Colors

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Lantern Uses and Colors
From: "archie" <kliner@socket.net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:36:55 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
This information may not be all inclusive, but some of the uses of different
colored globes are as follows: Clear globes were mainly for seeing with and
passing different lantern signals  to the engineer or crew at night.  Red
globes were used for flagging both the head end and the rear end.  Old heads
told me they were to be burning at all times while on duty.  Yellow or amber
globes were used by the interlocking operators to flag a train through a
manual interlocking at night.  A green globe along with a clear globe
lantern was to be used at night for a flag stop.  The blue globe was used on
rip tracks or where ever a car was being worked on to signify it should not
be coupled into or moved.  There may be other uses, but these are a few we
used on the Burlington.  Hope this helps.  Many collectors of lanterns try
to get all five colors to make up a complete set of their favorite model of
lanterns.   Archie Hayden