Re: [CBQ] Re:CTC Date Balfour to Pacific Jct

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re:CTC Date Balfour to Pacific Jct
From: <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 00:19:25 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Reread Page 28 of Bull No. 22 caption says CTC installed in 1929 Red Oak to
Balfour
Read in the foot notes on page 24 CTC ineffect MP 441.8 east of Red Oak to
Balfour; Pacific Jct to UP Transfer.  and that shows on the track charts
P. 36 shows CTC Machine in P Jct. Depot as moved in 1964  SO OP at P Jct
handled the CTC Red Oak to Council Bluff
In 1973 the double track Creston to Red Oak was single doubled.( half the
double track taken out with 50 MPH turnouts for high speed operations at the
ends of the Double Track) and CTCed.  This was followed in 74-75 with the CTC
moved from P Jct Op to the Ottumwa Dispatchers desk in House 9 in Cicero.  I
was on the extra board as a DS then and the regular man would lay off on the
signal cutover days acct the signal supervisor smoked the biggest blackest
foulest smelling cigars ever and I would get stuck sitting next to him all day
during the cut overs.  This was done station by station( a station being one
end of the siding say East siding switch at Hastings the West siding switch
took another day)
The original CTC Red Oak to Balfour had allowed the second main to be torn out.
 Now with CTC all the way Creston to P Jct. better meets could be made.  Only
problem was the hill at Red Oak a long .6 percent grade with the Red Oak siding
starting in the middle of the hill.  So all the meets were made at Villisca,
east of Red Oak or at Mc Pherson west of Red Oak so no one got stopped on Red
Oak Hill(stalled)  So the great minds put the double track back in between Mc
Pherson and Malvern which of course did not help a whole lot as the coal
traffic grew and the trains got longer and heavier and with even three motors
you could still walk up the hill faster then the engines could pull the
trains(Same thing between Creston and Galesburg on all the hills((the Iowa
Ozarks)))
3 year 2nd relief and 4 years Second Trick Ottumwa DS '83-90
Sam John Henry