[CBQ] For reading only - no replies allowed

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] For reading only - no replies allowed
From: "Dave Lotz" <dave_lotz@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:44:01 -0600
Many of the CBQ list members have asked me off list why I placed a ban
recently on the CBQ list.  After giving the situation much thought, I?m
breaking my own ban to make this posting.
On December 6, 2004, a member of The CBQ List on Yahoo Groups calling
himself "Carl Elliott" posted the following statement: "I heard that the
Corbin Collection was taken by Hol Wagner, Al Hoffman and Bat Masterson from
the Corbin basement on the day on his funeral and the 3 of them were thrown
out of the house by family members because of their outrageous behavior? And
they were barred from returning to get the rest."
As the owner of the CBQ list, the message had been submitted to me prior to
its posting and I, regretfully, allowed it to be posted.  I was subsequently
contacted by Al Hoffman, a BRHS Director and Treasurer for ten years, Hol
Wagner, ex-Director and Editor of The Burlington Bulletin since 1980, and
past BRHS Board Member and President, Rod "Bat" Masterson's family. Each
stated there was absolutely no truth to the above allegations, and all were
greatly offended by the insinuation that they would have tarnished the
memory of their mutual friend, Bernard Corbin, with any inappropriate
conduct.  Further, those accused regard the implication that the Corbin
collection was removed by them without the full consent of the Corbin heirs
to be libelous.
Accordingly, Mr. EIliott was asked to provide some proof of his assertions,
the names of his sources, or anyone who could collaborate his statements.
Despite Mr. Elliott?s claims of such documentation, he has not provided any
proof that would lend credence to his accusations.
Mr. Elliott, or whoever he may be, (to date he has declined to provide any
information confirming his identity) was using the CBQ group to pursue his
own agenda, and in the process, has unfortunately placed me and the
continued existence of the CBQ group in jeopardy.  Hence, I have had no
choice but to place a ban on further postings on any of the issues from Mr.
Elliott?s original post.  This is not the forum for resolving any of these
issues.  If Mr. Elliott wishes to pursue his claims the proper forum would
be in a court of law.
Your cooperation in keeping postings about this matter off the list is
essential to the continued operation of the CBQ list. As I stated before, if
anyone posts material in violation of these parameters, it will result in
the immediate loss of their participation privileges on the CBQ list.
Finally, I want to publicly offer my sincere apologies to Hol Wagner, Al
Hoffman and the family of Rod "Bat" Masterson for allowing Mr. Elliott?s
attacks upon their character and honor.  Each of these individuals has
labored for years to discover, preserve and share with others the history of
the Burlington Lines. Therefore, it is my profound regret that I allowed
this posting.

David Lotz,
CBQ List Owner

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM