[CBQ] Dealing with the ultimate frustration

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Dealing with the ultimate frustration
From: drale99@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:27:14 EST
Is there anyone on The List who would like to try his hand at writing a book
of etiquette?  I'm talking about a primer for uninitiated visitors to models
railroad operations.

Have you ever suffered frustration with a visitor who couldn't stop jabbering
about your glitches?  I just went through an afternoon of jibes from a guest
who couldn't let a single flaw in the operation go by with out a big
mouth-full of snide comments.

My railroad isn't worhty of publication, but it is well above average as
basement layouts go.  It is a fairly large point-to-point pike with good
trackwork, and it operates better than many I've seen.  Nevertheless, it is not
trouble-free, and between the miscues that result from my own goof-ups, and the
inevitable glitches and gremlins, I usually don't run too many operations
without
mishap.  I've learned over the years to live with the realities of basement RR
operation, and developed patience and tolerance for the imperfections in
basement railroading.

I have not, however, developed the tolerance necessary to keep my calm when a
kibitzer is busy giving a running account of my blunders and mishaps.  Today
I finally had to say to my friend: "Hey Buddy, you're about to get thrown out
of here."  He may have thought I was joking, but I really wasn't.

I'm curious as to who else might share these same frustrations, and any ideas
about how to deal with them.

Dale Reeves

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM