[CBQ] Re:Purlington Pavers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Purlington Pavers
From: Walter oHRNELL <wohrnell@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:36:11 -0800 (PST)
List,

Some years back I purchased some plaster herring bone pattern brick from C.C.
Crow they are very nice when painted.

Lenny

CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:

There are 25 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1. Re: Re: Purington Pavers
From: Bob Webber
2. Re: Re: Purington Pavers
From: Don Zinnecker
3. Re: Purington Pavers
From: "Todd"
4. Fwd: Bricks
From: jsteamernubes@aol.com
5. RE: Fwd: Bricks
From: "Dave Lotz"
6. Re: Digest Number 2343
From: Sam Cook
7. Re: Re: Purington Pavers
From: "Charlie Vlk"
8. Bricks
From: jsteamernubes@aol.com
9. Re: Re: Purington Pavers
From: robert runty

10. Re: Poll results for CBQ
From: "cbqfan1"
11. RE: Re: Poll results for CBQ
From: "Morgan-Fine,Richard"
12. Re: GE 44 Tonners
From: "Haydens"
13. Re: Bricks
From: "Charlie Vlk"
14. Re: Digest Number 2343
From: "Charlie Vlk"
15. 4978
From: "leo_mccauley2001"
16. CBQ Shops
From: "Bob & Marian Sorensen"
17. Re: Re: Purington Pavers
From: "Duncan Cameron"
18. Re: Re: Purington Pavers
From: Bob Webber
19. Re: Re: Purington Pavers
From: "Charlie Vlk"
20. Re: Re: Purington Pavers
From: Bob Webber
21. Re: Purington Pavers
From: "Todd"
22. Save the Date: 2005 St. Louis RPM Meet
From: John Golden
23. Re: GE 44 Tonners
From: "Haydens"
24. Re: Bricks
From:
25. York, Nebraska
From: "Allan B. Huskins Jr."

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:24:48 -0600
From: Bob Webber
Subject: Re: Re: Purington Pavers

Did you see on one of the links the number of bricks used for the defence
plant in Indiana? 22 million?!? In 146 days. They indicate 7-8 cars per
night were filled and sent. Now, let's see. That's a total of about 1168
cars. That's about 18,836 bricks per car. Which is about 169,520 pounds
or roughly 84 tons per car. It seems like 22 million bricks would take a
heck of a lot more cars than that! Of course, you would also have the
wood, glass, metal, piping, electrical, mortar, cement, etc. to build it,
but when you break it down, it some how loses the hugeness of the original
number.

But then.. one has to ask, based on your note - why Purlington for a plant
in Southern Indiana - surely there were plants closer to the building
site. And, why brick? Yes it was a munitions works, but seems like a lot
of travel in the days of "is this trip necessary".

I remember reading an article while living in Texas about the used brick
industry in the Chicago area where buildings were being bought solely for
the bricks , being torn down, sent by barge (?!) down to the South for use
in homes for that "old brick" feel. Have to wonder how many have
Purlingtons in them!

At 11:57 PM 3/10/2005, you wrote:

>Some where around here I have at least five different designs of Purington
>Bricks. Most roads had one or more brick yards on line and would use
>bricks from that shipper either for a cut rate price or salvage from
>loads. I remember walking the platform at Pacific Jct when there was
>still an operator there who ran the CTC Red Oak to P Jct and there was a
>different brand in that platform. I could not figure how to get a brick
>back home as I was on a road trip(It's h*** when you can get paid to
>railfan)and only had a grip. Climbing on and off locomotives with one in
>ones grip would be hard. The CNW at DeKalb was Boone Brick and
>Tile. M&StL used Oskaloosa. I must have at least a dozen different
>company bricks. It is just a little heavier then collecting stamps or
>timetables.
>sjh

Message: 2