[CBQ] Re: Brick from the Washington, KS CB&Q Depot

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Brick from the Washington, KS CB&Q Depot
From: "Todd" <thefryeguy@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 08:33:45 -0000

Sadly, I agree.  There is very little sense of history these days,
especially in many rural areas.  I am glad at least the Washington
depot is still standing.  It is one of only three railroad structures
left on the Odell to Concordia Burlington branch (that I am aware
of).  The depot in Morrowville is the Lion's Club meeting place, and
there is what I believe to be a tool house still standing in Wayne.
I have tried getting ahold of the local farmer who owns it, to see if
he would like to part with it (it has seen better days).

Several of my family members attempted to buy and move the Haddam
depot before it was demolished in 1998.  The local elevator's owner
had refused our offers for several years, into the Spring of '98.  I
do believe it was in May that we noticed it being dismantled.  We
came to find out, eventually, that the owner of the elevator GAVE the
depot to a couple of guys for the lumber.  The depot was one of the
nice two story examples, identical to the ones that were in Cuba, KS
and Diller, NE.  The only consolation we had is that the fellows who
took the wood used it to build a 1/2 size historical mini-railroad
town of sorts in Clifton.

Do you have any good resources for information on the construction of
the line?  I have as of yet found little.  Thanks.

-Todd E. Frye
Baldwin City, KS

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "duane_koss" <dak507@p...> wrote:

> In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <thefryeguy@y...> wrote:
> The Purington is the brand of brick pavers used on most, if not
> all,Burlington brick station platforms.
>
> I have documented Humboldt, Nebraska labeled bricks at multiple
> former Burlington platform locations in northern Kansas (Haddam,
> Morrowville, Concordia, Washington) and southern Nebraska (Diller,
> Odell, Hubbell).  Were Humboldt bricks used instead of Purington
> bricks at these locations because of geography, or because they
were
> originally on Burlington & Missouri in Nebraska trackage?  These
> small-town depots/platforms likely saw little updating over the
years
> so I suppose that too could be a factor.  Thanks for the
interesting

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM