[CBQ] Metra cars

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Metra cars
From: Bob Webber <zephyr1@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:28:26 -0600
I noticed in the last UP Streamliner that UP is purchasing Metra cars for
MOW cars.  Not a bad idea really, considering they've been well maintained,
they provide a high volume and they are likely quite cheap compared to
alternatives.  Note that the photos show smoothside (likely ex CRIP or
C&NW) NOT the Budd cars, which seem to be going elsewhere as described here
by Charlie and others.

I can't help wondering if UP being UP eschewed the Budd design because it
would be harder for them to paint them!  Not impossible, obviously as they
had Pacific sleepers that they painted.  I would have to think the Budd car
would have been more expensive too, but have no way of knowing.  Too, if
they WERE ex C&NW cars, there might be some benefits in the C&NW cab cars
that would be of use given the signaling systems.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM