Re: [CBQ] N scale suburban passenger modelling (1950's)

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] N scale suburban passenger modelling (1950's)
From: Aeolus3@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 17:05:14 EST
In a message dated 2/4/2005 2:24:13 PM Central Standard Time,
jbonkowski@psemi.com writes:
It seems like Budd cars would have been only for
long distance travel, not commuter traffic.
The Burlington was the first railroad in the country to have the bi level or
gallery cars. The Burlington went to Budd to design a car that would have
greater seating but be the same length as the single level equipment in use at
that time. CUS (Chicago Union Station) charged fees based on the length of a
train, the only way to go was up. The first order arrived in 1950, starting
with
#700. The cars were steam heated but required a power car for on board
lighting. The Burlington rebuilt older heavy weight cars 2 were combines with a
generator to power the interior lighting. Up until a few weeks ago #700 was
still in
service with Metra.

At this time the Burlington didn't use push pull as in use today. The
Burlington got the first gallery cab cars in 1965.

I'm not sure which car Con-cor produces in N Scale. Since they stated 1954, I
would guess they're the C&NW Cars smooth side built by St Louis Car or
Pullman Standard. If memory serves me the St Louis Cars had 12 windows on each
leve
and the Pullman Standard Cars had 10 windows on each level. The C&NW St Louis
Car bi levels were built first with the PS cars built a few years later. Also
the C&NW used push pull from the begining of their bi level surburban service.

Loren Johnson

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM