[CBQ] Re: Burl. Bulletin on CB&Q collectibles

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Burl. Bulletin on CB&Q collectibles
From: "graywolfs2" <graywolfs2@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:45:16 -0000

Hi Gerald,

In the FWIW dept. from me, I would like to see you do something in
the Zephyr at least, on how to store/display collectibles, such as
paper and the various smaller "hard" "Q" items.
I am concerned in being able to keep my paper items readable and
safe for future use after I've no longer a need for them.

I look forward to seeing you at the Spring Meet this year.

Thanks,
Greg K.
Minnesota

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald A. Edgar" <vje68@h...> wrote:

> For years I've considered doing a 'book' on Burlington
collectibles
> [...]
> That said, to do a good Bulletin, up to the standards of our
current
> Bulletins and Zephyrs, will be a massive undertaking.  Obviously a
> LOT of people will need to "share" to make it a reasonably
complete
> and accurate reference.  There is also the question of scope i.e.
> inc. C&S, FtW&D, predecessors and affiliates, non-RR mfg or
purchased
> items, whether to include models (or should that be a separate
> publication?) etc.  A further question of 'scope' is how to handle
> areas covered in other works:  (Luckin's book covers china, ditto
for
> another work on silver holloware & flatware, playing cards, CB&Q
> ETT's, etc.  Just do a cursory coverage on those and reference
> existing works or ???
> There are only a few works out there to judge what works and what
> doesn't organizational-wise; generic RR collectibles books, the GN
&
> NP vol's by Elon Piche, etc.  Anyone aware of other specific RR's
> collectibles books covering the entire gamut?
> The question of accuracy is contingent on MANY people giving
input.
> There are a number of BRHS mbrs with massive collections but no
one
> has it all, even in one slim category.  Even those who only have a
> couple TT's and a switch key in their possession may be aware of
an
> item in a local museum, at a friend's house, etc.
> Then a question of depth: do you want car seals and meathooks (see
> future Zephyr!) or just meat & potatoes TT's, passes and calendars.
> A balance of completeness and printing costs needs to be made too:
> color vs. b/w; pic of every annual pass or just of each design?
> As we are a Historical Society I lean toward the school of thought
> that you present everything & leave it to the reader to keep or
> discard whatever info he/she wants.
> Another question related to that is that completeness will require
> cooperation of non-BRHS sources.  Several books have been done by
non-
> BRHS mbrs who did not seek BRHS assistance as they obviously felt
> they had sufficient material from other sources.  There are also
> RRiana collectors with unique Q items that need to be contacted,
> quality photos taken, etc.
> Data is another dimension; I would like to see, in the interest of
> completeness, data such as when produced, by whom, variations,
> special conditions, etc.  This requires more input as well.
> Having made the comments (and more implied) what do YOU think?
> Thanks for any and ALL replies!  (and remember any of the big time
> collectors among us can all tell you that there is always one
> more "find"* and even the smallest collection often has an item
that
> the big collectors have never seen - been there many a time!
Gerald

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM