Re: [CBQ] No more "Burlington" -- Railroad subsidiary officially BNSF

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] No more "Burlington" -- Railroad subsidiary officially BNSF
From: Bill Hirt <whirt@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:27:40 -0600
Bill Jelinek wrote:

>       That lengthy name has been informally shortened to BNSF by railroaders,
> the shipping community and the news media.

Surprisingly around the Midwest, in most articles I've seen referring to
the railroad, the railroad is always called by the formal name to start
with and then just Burlington in subsequent references in articles. In
fact, the Kansas City Star had an article about a year ago on a new
river levee in Riverside, Missouri (just northwest of Murray Yard), and
the map in the newspaper showed the current railroad line through
Riverside as the C B & Q!

Bill

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Rcy2bD/UOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM