[CBQ] Metra incident

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Metra incident
From: Bob Webber <rswebber@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:54:59 -0600
Dave, your indulgence.  I don't normally go against your - or any
moderator's wishes, but I think this is important to "get out there" as the
original note was forwarded to so many places (from this list).

I just got off the phone with a  Metra police detective.  As I explained to
him, my purpose in following up on this was not to point fingers or
anything else, my sole purpose is to find out what the policy is and to
make sure that we can work together.

The policy is:

As long as you are taking photographs of equipment and facilities that are
publicly available, Metra is OK with it.  That means yards, trains,
stations etc.  Inside stations, duct works, access panels,  electrical
panels, emergency exits and the like are not to be photographed.  If you
act in a suspicious manner, or you attempt to take photos of those areas,
you will be targeted.  If you act in an unsafe manner, you will be stopped.

To me, the policy as outlined is basically common sense and nothing out of
the ordinary.  He also said that (after I explained to him that we likely
know as well as they do what is NOT ordinary or what is strange) that we
can help by calling if we see something strange people acting in ways
inconsistent with "normal" railfanning.

Now, what happened over the weekend?  I wasn't there.   Every story has two
sides and that's why I followed up with both departments.  I live in the
area, and I wanted to make sure that when *I* went out to photograph that
*I* wasn't going to be "part of the problem".

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Rcy2bD/UOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM