Re: [CBQ] NYC and PRR Run-throughs

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] NYC and PRR Run-throughs
From: "East Pass" <EastPass@19main.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:49:26 -0600
Glen,

The "QNY" usually ran as a separate train. If there was a
"UQP" it must have run for only a short while.

They would have run on just about the same schedule as
the two 68's. I do recall that Wilson, which had shipped
hanging lamb from Ogden and Denver on LW68 for years, got
into an issue over the "QNY". They had always had their
cars iced at Galesburg rather than Blue Island. This was
their preference. CB&Q thought that since they were iced
they could just be put on "QNY". Problem with that was
that the main perishable train out of Blue Island for
Selkirk NY did not pick up at Elkhart. The Wilson business
went back to either of the 68's very quickly.

These trains were run as an operating convenience for the
Eastern roads and were not customer oriented.

I have discussed this before and will not again.

All Westbound traffic received from connections at Cicero
was humped. The EL, NYC, & PRR wanted their Eastbound
deliveries from anyone at Chicago to come with road power
attached. CB&Q only needed to get the power somewhere
West of Cicero and they did so in various ways on various
trains.

The Eastbound trains went into Cicero and block swapped
until a full delivery was ready and it was taken over with
road power and crew taxied back. The goal was to run these
transfers in the 0600 to 1000 range which happened to be
in the same general time frame as the Westbound deliveries.
If they got the timing right it could be done as a turn to
Galesburg with the foreign power only on the "Q" for around
24 hours. The NYC was better at this than the PRR.

They did not want this power on CD or CGI since that power
was supposed to go through Galesburg. 67A was the train of
choice since it cleaned out Eola and had to be humped at
Galesburg anyway. Putting the power on 97 was sort of OK
but meant that the 24 hour turn could not be maintained
and got the cycle lengthened by one full day. This still
created a situation where there could be three sets of
Eastern road power that needed to go West but not enough
trains to move it. Never really solved that one. For some
reason I think the "Q" thought that the Eastern roads would
turn back their power in the same manner. Eventually they
saw the light and started sticking it in CD or CGI. While
this lengthened the cycle the same thing was happening on
the East of Chicago side so it balanced out. When PC was
formed the whole situation got even more disorganized as
they were trying to re-configure their Railroad "on the fly"
and not succeeding at it.

In this modern era of the generic locomotive all this worry
seems pointless but consider how small the CB&Q roster was
at that time. A net deficit for a week or so really put them
in a bind. With BNSF currently having over 5000 active units
the fact that 75 or 80 are on NS and a similar number of NS
units are on BNSF is just a small drop in a big bucket. As
long as the numbers are fairly close it just is a record
keeping exercise with periods where you are on the plus side
or on the minus side. It makes things much easier never having
to change power consists at interchange points. As long as
everyone plays by the same rules it works out fine. KCS in the
past and CSXT all the time tend to take advantage of the deal
but there are ways of handling those situations.

Russ