Re: [CBQ] Burlington Route business cars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Burlington Route business cars
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:34:50 +1300
Jerry

The CB&Q had two stainless steel business cars - "Burlington" built in 1952
by Budd and "The Round Up".

The latter car started life as an SP&S solarium-lounge car built by Barney &
Smith in 1915.  It was purchased by CB&Q in 1934 as number 220
"Mississippi", rebuilt in 1936 as a solarium-parlour car 340 with "Denver"
on one side and "Cheyenne" on the other.  During World War II, it became
chair car number 4811, but converted back in 1946 and given its original 220
/ Mississippi number and name.  Two months later, it was involved in the
Exposition Flyer crash at LaGrange, and sat in the yard for several years,
before being converted into an office car, sheathed in stainless steel and
renamed "The Round Up" in 1953

The above taken from Burlington Bulletin 17 - Office Cars.  There is also a
history of the car in Bulletin 42 - Exposition Flyer

Hope this helps

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ