[CBQ] CB&Q Runthrough Operations December 26th Update

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] CB&Q Runthrough Operations December 26th Update
From: "pcv333" <pcv333@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 04:12:48 -0000

     First of all, I would like to thank all the CB&Q fans on this list who
corrected
my errors, submitted information, and answered some of the questions I had.

     I had the impression CB&Q had runthrough and pool arrangements with
SLSF, SAL, and ACL because those same railroads were exchanging
locomotives and cabooses with UP via the Kansas City Gateway.  I also
thought CB&Q may have had a runthrough with SLSF because like GN and
NP, SLSF was also a BN Predecessor.  In a UP Annual, I believe, I thought I
saw a late 1960's/early 1970's era picture of SLSF, SAL, and ACL engines in
a consist at North Platte. However, I can't confirm this.

    I had the impression B&O might be a candidate for runthrough and pool
operations with CB&Q and other midwestern/western railroads at the Chicago
Gateway. I've always considered B&O as a northeastern railroad system that
equaled the NYC, EL, and PRR in terms of the size, variety, and status of
operations.  To be honest, I have no proof that CB&Q and B&O ever had a
runthrough or pool operation. I simply thought that because NYC, EL, PRR
had runthrough and pool operations with western connections at Chicago
such as ATSF, CB&Q, RI, etc. that B&O, later CS, might have also.

     Another railroad I thought would be a logical partner in a runthrough or
pool arrangement with CB&Q was SP. I was thinking a CB&Q/SP runthrough
would serve markets like Chicago-Denver (DRGW)-Salt Lake City (SP)-San
Francisco and Chicago-Kansas City(SLSF)-Dallas(SP)-Los Angeles for
example.  I have some 1966-1985 era SP Annuals where I live. I have come
to the conclusion that CB&Q and SP probably didn't have any kind of
runthrough and/or pool operation with each other. I have found no evidence
that would prove they did.

     Although I can't vouch for 100% accuracy for a lot of my information, I
feel I
try to make a serious effort to be as accurate as possible, that's why I use
videos, magazines, and books as research tools.  If someone on this list has
information and evidence that I don't know about, please feel free to let me
know.  I thank Tom Mack for sending me his spreadsheet that contained CB&
Q runthrough and pool operations. I joined this and all but one of the railroad
lists I'm on in late November.

     Besides CB&Q, I'm researching runthrough and pool operations from the
following railroads: UP, MOPAC, KATY, MILW, CNW, RI, (Omaha area
railroads) and SP.  The era I'm covering is 1960-1985.  In fact I did a lot of
research on UP runthroughs out of my own curiosity. I submitted the results of
my research to the UPHS.  Originally, I asked the UPHS if they had any
information on UP runthroughs in terms of train, tonnage, and carloads
densities covering UP interchange, runthrough, and pool operations with
other railroads during the 1960-1985 time frame.  The UPHS apparently didn't
have records for what I was asking about, so when I had the time, I started
doing the research myself.  Like I stated earlier, I can't vouch for 100%
accuracy, but I feel I'm trying to be as accurate as possible. I will keep CB&Q
fans on this list updated if I find other evidence or information that would
apply
to this list.

  Take Care

        Patrick Vana/Omaha, NE