[CBQ] Christmas Memories

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Christmas Memories
From: "nycbqfan" <jsauer@estee.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:31:40 -0000

I thought I'd share some Christmas time memories. The first goes
back to December 1968 (I think), and my Great Aunt was coming to
visit.  She lived in St. Paul, MN and took the CB&Q to La Grange, IL
where we lived. My recollection is that it arrived after dark at La
Grange.  It was just before Christmas, was very cold outside,
probably some snow on the ground.  My father and I drove to the
station to pick her up. I will never forget the train standing at
the station, with ice and snow clinging to the cars and steam
escaping from leaks in the steam heat lines. Made a big impression
on a 16 year old already fascinated with trains.

The other memories from the La Grange days goes back to when I was
much younger.  Christmas season always meant our family taking the
Burlington commuter trains to Chicago to visit the department
stores' toy departments, plus seeing the city at Christmas and
dinner somewhere special.  The best part of the day for me was the
train ride to Chicago.  I loved sitting on the upper level of the
commuter car and gazing intently outside as the train approached the
City, which meant seeing the railroad yards.  Pulling into Union
Station added more fun as I could see all the passenger trains
getting ready to leave.  And to make the day a complete
success...the return ride on the Burlington back to La Grange.

Trains have always been a special part of Christmas for me.

Merry Christmas.

John Sauer
Huntington, Long Island, NY

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM