Re: [CBQ] No40

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] No40
From: "Bob Yarger" <ryarger@rypn.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:09:54 -0500
As someone else has said, this is a narrow gauge 2-8-0, originally from the
International Railways of Central America, brought up to Colorado in the
early 1970s.  It worked first at Central City, then was trucked over to
Silver Plume to the Georgetown Loop.  A couple of years ago, it was also
sent north to the White Pass & Yukon, but returned after some brief use
there.  With the withdrawal of the Ashbys from the Loop, it is now at the
Colorado RR Museum in Golden.

Though there are some differences (add-on piston valves, for instance), the
engine is similar to the Q's 2-8-0s used on the narrow gauge in the Black
Hills.  No. 537, shown below, came down to Colorado after the Hills lines
shut down, and was used into the late 1930s on the C&S.
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00003479+OP-3479

Bob Yarger, Editor
Railway Preservation News (free website)
www.rypn.org