[CBQ] coaling tower kits

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] coaling tower kits
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 00:01:51 -0800
List -

While down at The Train Shop in Santa Clara, CA earlier today, I saw they
had 3 (THREE!) of the old Model Masterpieces kits (Kit No. 125) for the
300-ton Fairbanks Morse coaling tower. This is an HO scale craftsman kit
(wood, "dental stone" base, plus white metal and styrene detail parts)
which has been out of production some 20 years. It is a faithful copy of
the Colorado & Southern facility in Denver's Rice Yard. The prototype,
built in 1918 and torn down in 1946, serviced C&S (standard and narrow
gauge), Burlington, and Santa Fe engines. They are selling these kits @
$53, which I believe is the original 1982 price. I'd been looking for this
model for a long time (and my birthday is next week), so I bought one, but
there are two left, and I have a hunch they won't last very long. I would
much rather see them go to a couple of real Burlington or C&S fans who will
build them than to some "collector" or re-seller.

A word of caution. The finished model has about 750 parts, many of which
have to be cut and fitted, so this one isn't for the faint of heart.

I'm sure the store will ship worldwide. Their phone # is 408-296-1050.

Good luck,
Jonathan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM