Re: [CBQ] Re: Changes around station - Galesburg.

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Changes around station - Galesburg.
From: atsf3460@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 02:13:06 EDT
Santa Fe maintenence took over the entire station when Amtrak's SW Chief
moved over to the BN side for its Chicago - Galesburg route.  After the merger,
I'm assuming, the maintenence base was probably consolidated to one location
and
the station became redundant.  Apparently there may also have been a "for
sale" sign on the property in the past year or so.  I have no idea why
specifically the station was razed other than to make the property more
marketable if
BNSF wants to sell it.

The station itself dated back to pre-Amtrak days and was built by Santa Fe to
replace their brick station (I have a few photos of this station and I feel
losing it was as big of loss as the downtown Burlington Route station ... of
course I'm biased liking "Q" and Santa Fe pretty much evenly).  Probably around
the same time Santa Fe moved out of their station in Fort Madison, Iowa to the
new station built at Shopton.  Fort Madison's current Santa Fe / Amtrak and
Galesburg's stations bear more than a passing resemblance.

Mike Martin / Peoria Heights, IL

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM