[CBQ] Reminder - Bertram Bash (Iowa) Sept 25th

To: inrr@yahoogroups.com, WSOR@yahoogroups.com, CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Iowa-Interstate@yahoogroups.com, ccprr@yahoogroups.com, IlliniRail@yahoogroups.com, crandic@yahoogroups.com, IowaInterurbansandStreetRailways@yahoogroups.com, RockIslandSouthernRailway@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Reminder - Bertram Bash (Iowa) Sept 25th
From: GEU30CG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 08:08:50 EDT
We want to invite everyone to our Bertram Bash III, SATURDAY September 25,
2004.  This is a combined MNRail and Cedar Rapids Area Railfan Association
(CRARA) joint gathering.  If you came to any of the previous meets, you will
recall
the great time we all had!  This year looks to be similar.

We will gather at the Bertram, Iowa township Hall anytime after 10:30am.
Join us at any time that day. Bertram is located about nine miles East of
Cedar
Rapids - One mile north of Highway 30 & Highway 151 (Highway 13) interchange.
Turn east off Highway 13 / 151 just north of the Union Pacific Railroad
overpass, and the town is about a mile to the east.  The Hall is right in the
middle
of town on Angle and East Alley Street.  The grounds are next to the busy
east-west line of the Union Pacific (ex CNW) tracks.   Average number of
trains in
a 24-hour period is about 70.

If you need a specific map, contact Darren (GEU30CG@aol.com) for an easy
downloadable *.gif file.

Bertram is a picturesque little community at the foot of the "Mount Vernon
Hill" - a ruling grade eastward as the tracks climb away from the Cedar River
Valley.  There are a number of scenic curves and angles for photographing
trains
in both directions all day within five miles each direction.  Bertram also
marks the beginning of the CTC section of mainline in the Cedar Rapids area
so
it is not uncommon for trains to be waiting to enter the controlled section.

The Bertram Hall will be a "headquarters" for the activities of the day.  We
will have TV/VCR available and running for the day.  If you wish to share
some
home video - please bring it!  A simple concession stand will be available
for drinks and munchies at a very reasonable price throughout the day
including
lunch and dinner grilled meals.  (To help with planning, if you could please
respond with approximate number of people for each meal to Darren
GEU30CG@aol.com by Thursday Sept 25th.)  There will be tables available if
you wish to
display your model projects, photo albums, memorabilia, etc.

Just to the south of the Hall, toward the UP, is a nice open area adjacent to
the Bertram Municipal Building that will be excellent for viewing trains all
day and photos later in the afternoon.  The City of Bertram has given
permission for anyone to park in the city parking lot.  There are large shade
trees
next to the parking lot where you can set up lawn chairs.  The owner of the
grassy mowed field between the city parking lot and the tracks has given our
group
permission to use her property.  *Please note:* bring your own chairs for use
outside,
as the picnic tables we've used in the past have disappeared.

There is a detector that gives warning for eastward movements and grade
crossings that warn of westward movements.

Radio frequencies are
161.040 - UP Road East of Fairfax.
160.890 - UP Road west of Fairfax.
160.455 - UP Engineering.
161.175 - MOW / Yard.
160.320 - Yard

As the evening draws, we will begin a marathon slide presentation where
everyone is invited to share 60-80 slides or about 25 minutes worth of
programming.
 We will also have a stack loader and tray available.  The slide programs are
a huge success with various subjects.  We will sign up on a first come basis.
 Everyone will have the chance to fill a slot.

You are welcome to bring spouse, friends, kids, etc to join in the train
watching activities and meals.  There will be no charge to attend the meet.
We
will have a donation can to defray the cost of the hall.

If you wish to spend the night, there are ample motel accommodations in Cedar
Rapids, and one in Mount Vernon

As an added weekend bonus, the Washington, Iowa train show at the Knights of
Columbus is Sunday, September 26, 2004.

The Cedar Rapids Railfan's group will welcome the MNRailers and any other
guests with an interest in railroads, so please come out for a day of train
watching, fellowship and photos.  Please feel free to forward this message to
any
interested people.  We look forward to seeing and meeting new friends.  Join
us
for Bertram Bash III.  Saturday September 25, from 10:30am until the slide
program ends!

Railroadingly yours,

Darren Ferreter, President
Cedar Rapids Area Railfan Association.