Re: [CBQ] CB&I steel water towers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&I steel water towers
From: Rob Adams <steamera@netins.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:54:51 -0500
Christopher;

The CB&Q had many different variations of the basic steel towers, so it
depends upon what features you are looking for.

Spherical roof vs. sloped, pointed roof.
Conical vs. spherical tank bottom.
Straight vs. tapered standpipe column.
Then there's the number of tank courses, capacity, leg dimensions,
footing dimensions, etc. .....

In HO, both Walthers and Tichy have options. To my knowledge, no
manufacturer produces an HO tank with a tapered standpipe column, which
is unfortunate since the Q had many with that construction feature.

The Walthers Cornerstone tank is a bigger, chunkier tank, and has much
cruder detail than the Tichy tank.  It is probably easier and quicker to
assemble, which may be enough to sway some modelers its direction.

My preference is the Tichy kit.  It has great detail and can be built in
more than one configuration.  A bit time-consuming to build, but
definitely worth the effort.

That's my 2 cents.  Your mileage may vary...

Kind regards, Rob Adams

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM