Re: [CBQ] C&S, FWD Lines

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] C&S, FWD Lines
From: "Norm Metcalf" <metcalf@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:38:50 -0600
    See F. Hol Wagner, Jr.'s The Colorado Road for far more details.
The CS began at Orin Jct WY (where it joined the Wyoming Central, subsidiary
of the Fremont & Elkhorn Valley, which in turn was a subsidiary of the
Chicago & North Western.  The portion between Wendover WY and Orin Jct was
later leased to the CBQ and the CS obtained trackage rights between Wendover
and Guernsey WY.
    The other end of the CS was at Sixela NM, where it joined the FWD.  (The
Fort Worth & Denver City had built to Texline TX.  The Colorado & Texas
extended the line from Texline to Union Park NM, where it joined the Denver,
Texas & Fort Worth, later part of the Union Pacific, Denver & Gulf, later
CS. But the ownership of the Colorado & Texas was turned over to the Denver,
Texas & Fort Worth.
    The FW&DC (later FWD) started at Hodge TX on its way to Texline.  In
1890 the FWDC replaced its trackage rights over the MP from Hodge to Fort
Worth.  In 1905 the CS purchased control of the Trinity & Brazos Valley, in
1906 a half-interest was sold to the RI.  In 1907 the TBV reached Houston
and trackage rights were obtained from the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe between
Houston and Galveston plus Cleburne to Fort Worth.  Also the CS and RI built
the Galveston Terminal Railway during 1907.  Further, during 1907 the TBV
built from Teague to Waxahachie and trackage rights on the MKTT were
obtained from Waxahachie to Dallas and trackage rights on the Houston &
Texas Central were obtained from Waxahachie to Fort Worth.
    Wagner's book has plenty of further details on branch lines,
abandonments, trackage rights, etc.
    Norm Metcalf, Boulder CO