[CBQ] CZ Sighting on Wisconsin Central

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] CZ Sighting on Wisconsin Central
From: "cbq_bill" <cbq_bill@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 05:20:21 -0000
At about 7:30PM on Thursday 03/25/2004, I was driving my car on
Allanson Road in Mundelein, IL on my way to drop the car off at the
shop.  My wife was following in the van behind.

The crossing gate came down at the Wisconsin Central's tracks.  We
had many things to do and thought that we'd be stuck behind a slow
freight in the dark.

The locomotive was a CN red/white GP or SD with long-hood forward.
To our amazement, 4 stainless steel Budd Zephyr cars followed:
vista dome Silver Chalet, sleeper Silver Shore, baggage Silver
Express, and vista dome coach Silver Lodge. Silver Chalet had an
observation deck.  The car names were above the windows (where the
train name would have ben in CB&Q days) in a non-Zephyr font.  The
cars appeared to be in good shape.

At the auto shop, my wife & I discussed the Twilight Zone aspects of
being in the right place to see this train as it passed by.  Too bad
it was night and that I had no camera with me.

I did a search on the net and found that Quad Graphics in WI either
did or does own these CZ cars.  Anyone know anything to add, update,
or correct?

I hope that all of you get some opportunities to be surprised by ex
CZ cars when you least expect it.

Bill

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511