[CBQ] re: final correction B&MR

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] re: final correction B&MR
From: "gaedgar66" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 05:40:10 -0000
I'll meet 15/16 of the way Dave!  I've been trying to think why my
brain shorted out to CB&Q rather than B&MR on the cons't of trackage
from Burlington westerly.  Then while rereading Overton &
Baldwin's "Documentary History...", it came to me (why my brain
shorted).  The B&MR originally was strictly an Iowa corp. and got its
land grant for eventual const across Neb from Congress as such in
1864.  Not having the finances to extend across Neb, it created the
Neb corp & got Congressional authority in 1869 to transfer the rights
and land.  Technically there were two B&MR's: B&MR in Iowa (or BMI)
whereas the new company created for lines further west was the B&MR
in Nebraska (BMN). And of course being a good Iowan I tend to think
of the 2 as indeed separate as BMI trackage became Lines East
property and BMN was part of Lines West.  As Dave knows, regardless
of either or both B&MR's, the public & even the RR, occaisionally
referred to it as just Burlington & Missouri or B&M; thus photos,
documents etc may have the shortened name.  I learned this when yrs
ago I got a lot of nice Q stuff from an antique dealer who dealt
primarily in Eastern RR's and filed a bunch of B&MR/Q material under
Boston & Maine (B&M to anyone but an old Q enthusist).   Gerald

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511