Re: [CBQ] TCZ photos

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] TCZ photos
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:51:37 -0600
Greg,

Excellent. Train was obviously going East and all are
correct locations.

Thank you for the Nelson photo. My wife was raised by
her Grandparents and the large building to the left
was their garage. The house is a little more to the
left and partially hidden by trees.  When her Grandfather
passed away I worked with her Uncle to clean out that
garage.

She was still living at home when I met her. We were
married in Nelson and both our children were born in
Wabasha as was she.

I have never seen a photo of the depot there. Looks to
be pretty standard. The waiting rooms were to the North.
My depot at Cochrane would have been a mirror image.
Another difference is that Cochrane had a long covered
over entrance door on the North end. This depot does not.
It might be because it is physically smaller. The windows
and door were equally spaced at Cochrane and there is not
that much room here.

That crossover and the switch at the West end of the
business track were removed during the early 80's. Have
sealed a few loads of lumber on that track.  Now here's
a question to think about. That track was just about all
66# rail, which is standard on that line.  In the case
of Nelson some of it must have been brought there still
together because it was bonded. I'm talking about big,
streetcar or interurban type stranded bonds at least
half an inch thick.  Best I can think of is that it was
brought down from Trevino when double tracking and relay
to 100# came along in the 20's. The CMStP&P diamond there
would probably have been interlocked before the double
tracking.

There is now almost no sign of the Nelson depot but the
Trevino depot/tower foundation is still there, out in
the woods. Before the new SH35 bridge was built across
the Chippewa you could drive down the right of way right
to it but don't think you can anymore. They also removed
the flashers and rail across the highway then.

Russ