[CBQ] Re: Amtrak Service on the Former Q - One last Gasp...

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Amtrak Service on the Former Q - One last Gasp...
From: William Barber <clipperw@EarthLink.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:03:34 -0600
Ed,

You may want to consider your Denver trip again. I just checked
Amtrak's fare Chicago to Denver and return and it is far lower than you
were quoted a year ago. I used a AAA fare code, a Superliner standard
bedroom and plugged in the dates of 3/25/04 outbound and 3/30/04
return. The total fare is $427 purchased through the Amtrak website.
The deluxe bedroom, of course, is higher around $950. Coach fare is
only $144 RT.

I have been using Amtrak regularly, lately, between KC and Mendota and
usually get a coach fare of $34.20 each way and get there in 5 1/2
hours. I can't drive my truck there for that price and it would take me
almost 8 hours, plus I have to put up with all of the semis on I-80.

BTW, the lowest RT airline fare that I could find on the same dates,
using Expedia, was $221, using ATA or Frontier. United's lowest fare
was $296 and AA's lowest was $314.

So, you may want to think about recreating your trip once more.
Unfortunately, thanks to Uncle Pete's portion of the trip, Amtrak #6 if
frequently late and the western portion of the Q's trackage is somewhat
rough these days, I am told. However, my recent experience with Amtrak
is good service, on time once under way, friendly employees and good
food. I am leaving for Illinois on Sunday. My last trip was a REAL
experience. I rode #4 from KC on Feb. 9, just after they derailed the
train east of Argentine yard. After some significant discussion, they
finally decided to use the KC - St. Louis equipment between KC and
Chicago. We left KC 5 hrs. late with one locomotive one Amcafe car, one
horizon coach and one Amfleet coach. We were limited to 80 mph across
Missouri because the locomotive was not equipped with an ATS pickup,
but boy, did that train accelerate! To Amtrak's credit, they provided
food at KC Union Station while we waited and they also provided food
for everyone on the train while enroute at no cost to the passengers.
The crew did a great job under somewhat stressful circumstances.

I would use Amtrak anytime I can. BTW, the security is wonderful; there
"ain't" any!! The only thing they did was check my ID when I picked up
my ticket. I think their service is at least as good as when I rode the
Nebraska Zephyr between Chicago and Omaha in 1957. Give them another
chanc, Ed.

Bill Barber