[CBQ] Hoppers used in Sugar Beet Service

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Hoppers used in Sugar Beet Service
From: "Blair Kooistra" <wallcloud@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:26:52 -0000
Hi List,
I'm trying to track down photographs I could base painting and
weathering models of the following classes of CB&Q hopper cars for
sugar beet service:
188000-189999 37'8" steel hoppers, 2078cu feet (does anyone make a
reasonable HO model of these cars?)
190000-191749   "                            "
194000-194999 36'6" composite side hoppers, 1970 cu feet

I noted several of these cars showing up on waybills loaded in the
Pacific Northwest on Northern Pacific points with beets for movement
to factories in Moses Lake and Toppenish, Washington. The "campaign"
seemed to last from early September to early December.

I know CB&Q had quite a campaign at several points of its own--
wondering if anyone knows if NP cars were commonly used during
periods the Burlington hauled beets. I suppose it would make sense,
Hill Lines helping each other out during periods when some of their
own cars were underutilitzed.

thanks in advance!

--blair kooistra
fort worth, Texas

Send the freshest Valentine's flowers with a FREE vase from only $29.99!
Shipped direct from the grower with a 7 day freshness guarantee and prices so
low you save 30-55% off retail!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_iAw9B/xdlHAA/3jkFAA/8ZCslB/TM