[CBQ] The Freight Car Color Issue

To: "CB&Q Yahoo Group" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] The Freight Car Color Issue
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:11:09 -0600
All,

Have always been slow. Nothing new about that.

Quite some time ago I commented that the color on a ballast
car that is new on the market was, at least in the linked
image, not the way I remembered it.  I think the lettering
did not match my recollections either.

Scanned some freight car slides and finally have put them
somewhere.

This is the place: http://www.19main.com/Freight_Car_Set_001.htm

These are very low resolution images. Will be glad to post
any size files that anyone wants. For that matter will put
freight car raw scans on a CD and mail them at cost if you
wish to do your own editing.

Comments:

In the middle shot, top row, I'm fairly sure the NP box car
is new. A good comparison of the colors can be made here.

The GATX DF car is interesting. Just came back from repairs
at East Chicago. Notice the touch-up paint color. Was this
the original color and did it fade that badly? I would say
that it probably did.

Personal comment:

Started hanging around the IHB at La Grange and the CB&Q at
Congress Park when I was about 15. Since the CB&Q was buying
most of their ballast from Gary Slag their ballast cars were
always around, at time in great numbers. Seem to recall a
114 car train during the '65 flood. Always have thought that
it would be very difficult to make plastic castings of these
and get the doors right. There was a time during the 70's
when, if available, I would have rushed out and bought a
hundred of each of the car types.  Price and income rules
that out in the present.  Have not seen the door detail on
the newer models but of course I do not remember who is even
selling them.  The smaller cars that were built in the 20's
would be the real prize. I do not know if any other roads
even had similar cars. I take that back. I know the UP did.
As it is the CB&Q/NP/GN/SP&S/UP all had the 70ton offsets.
Both the CB&Q & NP had composites although the NP re-did most,
but not all, of their cars with steel sides after the war.

BTW, the CB&Q composites were always shown as "Ore Cars".
Certainly never saw or heard of one moving any kind of ore.
Think this might just have been a War Production Board smoke
screen to justify the material to build the cars.

Russ