[CBQ] Re: Burlington Shops

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Burlington Shops
From: "steve_wintner" <steve_wintner@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 17:43:21 -0000
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Shankland\(Train\)" <shankland@b...>
wrote:

> > The first eight O-5's, #5600-5607, were built by Baldwin
Locomotive
> > Works for the CB&Q in 1930, the same time the Q's S-4 Hudsons
were
> > also built by Baldwin. There is a strong resemblance between the
these

> > two locomotives. Starting in 1936 the Burlington went back to
> > Baldwin's proven design and built copies in their own West
Burlington
> > shops,
>

> I have always been curious about the relationship with Baldwin that
> permitted the Burlington to "copy" a Baldwin design. Weren't there
> patent infringements etc.?
>
> John

Not necesarily. Much engineering design and build work today is done
under a legal basis where the customer owns not only the delivered X
products, but also the engineering intellectual property / drawings
and so forth. That may have been the legal basis at the time.

Or maybe Baldwin allowed the Q to build them, since I imagine Baldwin
was involved in delivering certain major items and therefore got some
business out of it (Machining the locomotive bed comes to mind as
being something the Q probably was not set up for)

Steve

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: