[CBQ] re: Lionel/Weaver - Q popularity

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] re: Lionel/Weaver - Q popularity
From: "gaedgar66" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:03:34 -0000
  A big thanks to "CB&Q Bill" for those listings!  I model in H.O. but nice we
have Q fans willing to take time to do such listings -
perhaps make you a regular for an O Scale/Tinplate review in the Zephyr?
  The recent offerings of Burlington equipment in various scales bodes well for
our future.  There was a recent message by a mbr of
this group re: Q's popularity relative to UP/AT&SF/NYC, etc among modelers.  As
was discussed a yr or two back, the fact that Lionel
& Flyer did so much in those roads' names perpetuted their popularity for
modelers/fans without a RR in their area or one they did not
like for whatever reason (plus the fact that for yrs many model companies
limited road names to the same old tired ones).
  Another factor was that Wall Street seldom mentioned the Burlington as the
stock was nearly all captive - not the stuff of insightful
articles as there were for widely held RR stocks.  Imagine if the Q had been
publicly traded in the era of bankrupt Milw/Rock etc!
  Part of the reason I listed some of that Q info 2 days ago was to make
younger & newer Q fans aware of just how big the Burlington
was by many measures.  Even serious railfans assume that in the BN merger of
GN/NP/Q the mileage of the former 2 was greater
than the Q's - such was NOT the case, even without C&S/FtW&D mileage.  The Q
did not stretch out like some but did range from Ky
to Montana and Wisconsin to Kansas.  In fact TT's from the turn of the century
brag about the fact that at the time the Burlington was
the 3rd largest of all-RR's (they slipped some after mergers of other RR's but
were always a major player).  Yes, we have a lot to be
proud of and hopefully a number of modelers without a RR loyalty will buy some
of those new Lionel & Weavers models just as
non-affiliated railfans will pick up some good books, timetables & brochures on
the CB&Q - or as one marketing mgr once bragged;
Cheaper, Better & Quicker!    Gerald

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511