Re: [BRHSlist] CBS gives UP a (well deserved) whacking.

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CBS gives UP a (well deserved) whacking.
From: "Gregory Myers" <myers.gregory@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:31:56 -0500
Unfortunately it appears that we (model railroaders) are all paying the bill
for UP's position on licensing. For example, the MSRP for the HO Atlas
SD24's is the same for the UP model as it is for the Burlington model. What
seems to be happening is that the manufacturers are putting the UP licensing
fee cost against the entire production run and spreading the cost equally
against all of the models produced, whether or not the specific road
required a UP licensing fee. If this were not happening, then logically the
UP (and other road names controlled by UP) should have a higher cost than
thse that do not require lciensing fees. However, that is not the case with
any products that I have seem. Therefore, the only logical conclusion is
that I am paying the same portion of the licensing fee that Atlas was
charged by UP when I buy my Burlington SD24's that the UP modeler is paying
when he (or she to be politically correct) buys a UP SD24 from Atlas. Just
because you / we don't model the Up or one of its progeny, don't think that
you are escaping the cost of UP's decision.

    Greg Myers