Re: [BRHSlist] Atlas Q Hart Ballast cars

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Atlas Q Hart Ballast cars
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 18:38:16 -0600
Jeff,

Never saw a car in that series painted either the Atlas color
or orange.  Go to the SP&S car on that page and you will be
close to the right color.

Also never saw a car with trucks painted to match the car sides.
Only one "loading line" on car. They had at least two, slag, and
sand or gravel. Not very sure about the herald either. I know
the composites were just white with no black background, would
have to say these would be the same. Even in the mid sixties
some of these cars were so beat up that they had lost most of
their lettering. A few were so bad that you had to do a memory
job on a rollby check. You can't look at both sides and both ends
while the train is moving.

Some of these cars were still in ballast or beet service into the
early 80's. Some with patch BN numbers but some without.

Can not see the quality of the casting of the doors from those
photos. That is the real test of a model of this type of car.
As for paint scheme if they were working from a photo it was not
of a typical, or possibly any, car.

Russ