[BRHSlist] Assembly of American Model Builders Waycar Kits

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [BRHSlist] Assembly of American Model Builders Waycar Kits
From: "Myers, Scott V." <svmyers@southernco.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:35:26 -0600
I have several of these kits and have been very pleased with their assembly.
However, I am stymied when it comes to the ladders.  Along with the kits, I
bought the Trout Creek Engineering caboose ladders kit.  These are etched brass
parts that require assembly.  The directions are definitely correct when they
suggest that gluing the rungs to the siderails using ACC does not work well,
and recommend soldering.  I fear use of my large soldering gun is likely to
burn through the thin brass, or at best, leave a messy amount of solder at each
rung.  ( I don't have a torch or pencil type soldering iron.)  Not
surprisingly, the siderails also get easily bent.  It appears to me that I will
face a similar assembly problem with the platform railing (made from the wire
included) when trying to attach the vertical supports to the horizontal
railing.

For those who have assembled these portions of the waycar kit, or anyone else
for that matter, how have you constructed the ladders and platform railings?

One thought that occured to me was substituting ladders and railings from
another source.  The ad I have seen of the new Walthers CB&Q 4 Window Wood
Caboose appears to have the correct combination of ladders and platform
railings, although its difficult to see much in the way of details.  Does
anyone know if this is true, or have any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Scott Myers

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511