[BRHSlist] "The Station Agent" (off topic)

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] "The Station Agent" (off topic)
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:13:13 -0800
It has nothing to do with the CB&Q, but I wanted to recommend this movie,
which we just saw last night. Some of you may find it a little bizarre;
many of you may have trouble finding it at all. It looks to be a pretty
low-budget indie (an "art-house" kind of picture), so it may be hard to
catch outside larger urban areas. Even in San Francisco, it was just
playing at one relatively small theatre. Anyway, it was a completely
unexpected treat (despite rave reviews -- which I hadn't read or heard -- I
knew nothing about it before last night). From what I could tell, everyone
in  the audience loved it. Very sweet! (Patricia's description)

Before you invest your bucks on latter-day ticket prices, though, I better
offer a few caveats: First, it's not a railroad film (though railroads and
the love of railroads figure prominently in it); second, as indicated, you
may find some of the characters and situations a bit weird; third, and most
important, it's very understated, and like the recent Bill Murray movie
"Lost in Translation," not a whole lot happens in terms of plot or action.
It's really more a study of character development and friendship. The
central protagonist, who is an avid railfan, is a true original and a
wonderfully refreshing departure from some of the tired stereotypes and
cheap shots we've all had to endure (most recently, Micky's husband in "A
Mighty Wind"). This movie did poke a little gentle fun at some of our
foibles, but the main character is a very complex and sympathetic person. I
thought it was probably the best attempt to get inside a railfan's head
since Flanagan's 1994 short novel (or whatever that was?) "Stations," and
the most loving portrait of a fan I've seen in film since the Australian
comedy "Malcolm" -- also a decade or more ago. This movie, however (even
though it's basically a comedy and quite hilarious in places), is at heart
a much more serious and intelligent film than that one.

Jonathan

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511