[BRHSlist] RE: Walthers caboose mods

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [BRHSlist] RE: Walthers caboose mods
From: "Douglas Harding" <dharding@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:53:44 -0600
Wally
No real need to modify the Walthers caboose. It will go through a #4 turnout
and around an 18" radius as built. But just barely.  I have several on my
layout, both the CB&Q 4 window, and the GTW 3 window style. We have had no
trouble with them during OP Sessions.

The MR modification was to apply an Athearn caboose frame to the Walther's
caboose, shortening the wheelbase to gain clearance, but also destroying the
"looks" of the caboose when it comes to truck placement. I think a better
solution was to follow the instructions I offered in the Jan 2003 RMC where
I kitbashed Walther's 3 window GTW caboose into a CBQ look-alike. I cut the
Walthers frame and rearranged the parts to shorten the wheelbase and used
the MDC wood beam passenger trucks.

Doug Harding
Iowa Central Railroad
www.iowatelecom.net/~dharding/