Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1874

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1874
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@macnexus.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:04:57 -0800

Charlie Vik comments-

>Denny-
>The trucks used on the General Pershing are not so unique.. the Q used them
>on all their prewar Budd cars other than the first order of coaches, the
>diners, and the C&S / FW&D coaches.

You are of course correct that they were not unique with specific
reference to the GPZ cars alone, but to my knowledge they were unique
to the Burlington, and only to the orders of Budd-built cars
bracketing or at least proximal to the GPZ purchases c. 1938-9 (I am
away from my sources, so cannot be more specific).  There were not
that many cars, so I would feel that the truck designs certainly
could be safely considered at least to be very uncommon or unusual,
if *unique* would seem to be too strong a word.

BTW, at least one of the cars in that set of orders may still be in
existence, still with its original trucks: the 89' baggage car (name
SILVER......). It was used for many years by AMTRAK as an exhibit
car, and it visited Sacramento and the CSRM several times over years
past for various purposes. At last notice, it was residing in the
dead line at Beech Grove.

Bruce Heard of Amtrak's national PR department (now retired) was the
first one to call my attention to the unique trucks under these cars,
and their arcane place in the history of railroad technology.

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento