Re: [BRHSlist] Dispatcher's phone recordings Get a big THUMBS UP

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Dispatcher's phone recordings Get a big THUMBS UP
From: PSHedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:48:00 EDT
CD No. 1 has been listened to...It's all I expected...John...it's the
railroad as we knew it....

I'm anticipating the next three as being just as good if not better..The
quality is quite good, except for a few fuzzy voices....

The CD's come with a GN map and after I listened awhile i found the division
where the action was taking place..If ;you do this, it makes a little more
sense, since you can get an idea of distances and which way the trains are
running.

Since it's 1969 and everything I've heard is in CTC territory it's a little
"modern", but not enough to spoil the effect...The old guys sound just like
they always did...There are a few little "humorous jibes"..you have to be an
"old
rail" to catch most of them....There are several "clear him up" sequences and
one train order dictation and repetition.

In one instance a conductor comes on the phone after a meet in CTC territory
and tells the DS "that guy didn't have any markers when he went by
here"...DS...."well don't worry he is all there"..Conductor well I thought I
better tell
you  (he was probably suspicious of an efficiency test)...DS..."well, it ain't
too much of a sin if he didn't have em up since he's in CTC territory, but
he'll need em when he runs out of CTC"...

It' interesting to hear the old heads talk...It doesn't matter what railroad
or the names..the tone of voice and the conversations are all alike wherever
you are...When a new guy comes on the phone, it's a whole different kind of
conversation.

In one instance a conductor is telling the DS that another train heading in a
yard track discovered what they thought was the body of a person they had run
over...After investigating they found it was a "dummy" somebody had put
between the rails..The DS was having a little trouble understanding what they
were
telling him..Finally when he "got it' he said "what the hell will them damn
buggers think of next".

Some of you "non rails" might get bored with listening to this stuff, but it
may be perhaps you don't understand what is being said or happening...Quite a
bit of the conversations need a bit of interpreting....Some of us old heads
would love to do it.

A big thanks to Tom Garrett for getting this bit of history together for us.

A final clarification....There are quite a few conversations between the DS
and train crews...I think this was done through a Telephone -radio setup..The
DS would key in the station nearest where the train was, and then would
communicate via the DS phone to the depot and thence via radio to the
engine...You
can hear the selector thumping, then the buzz of the phone ringing and then the
engine crew answering...

To the non-rail the continual series of problems which the DS is confronted
with minute by minute will be enlightening..there is no end to it...From a
forest fire, to a train setting out the wrong engine leaving the DS without a
"Cab
Engine" which he needed for another train..he had to then stop a third train
and make an engine exchange, to continually giving 'track and time limits" to
a work train and track inspectors, to telling trains what track to set out on
and where other trains are...It's not Timetable and TO's but it's real hands
on railroading where there was continual activity at each station which the DS
had to oversee.

Pete

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511