Re: [BRHSlist] Torpedo tubes.

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Torpedo tubes.
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:02:16 -0500
Did not recall any CB&Q units that had rooftop air tanks outside
of the SD24's but whatever.

Normally the air tanks on a diesel were mounted in an indented area
above and outside the fuel tanks, just under the frame, and usually
behind a skirting.

This did limit fuel and, if applicable water, capacity because the
tank had to be narrower at the top than it was in the middle. One
cure for this problem was to move the air tanks to the roof and
use a larger fuel tank that was full width at the top.

In the case of units designed to be used in passenger service this
was of even more importance. In cold weather with the standard
size tank the unit would run out of water long before it ran out of
fuel.  While the CB&Q units were not configured that way it could
be presumed that any unit that was built with a steam generator
would probably have the air tanks on the roof.  All GN & NP units
with the roof mounted air tanks did have steam generators.

In the case of the water supply there was yet another way to increase
it even more.  Two NP GP7's, (550-551), had an extra water tank on
top of the walkways on both sides, along the long hood. It was the
width of the walkway, about 6" high, and extended from right behind
the cab another 30 feet toward the rear of the unit. This did require a
slight modification of the access doors in the long hood so they would
swing out above the water tank but it did hold 740 gallons of water
which supplemented the 800 gallons in the normal tank. These units
did not have roof top air tanks but the air tanks were mounted crossways
behind the fuel/water tank.  These units were not particularly successful
in passenger service to International Falls or Winnipeg, which is what
they were purchased for, were replaced by FP7's; and had all the
extra stuff removed.

Russ