[BRHSlist] reL towns along CB&Q in Neb

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] reL towns along CB&Q in Neb
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:51:03 -0500
Bcc:
Cc: rlander@ALLTEL.net
The Q, when Val Kuska was ag agt, issued a series of brochures jointly with
various NE & WY countys, cities and Chbrs of Commerce.  TT size, they
extolled the land, infrastructure, etc.  I have 8 of these of but
unfortunately not for the 2 countys the individual asked for but am certain
the Neb. Historical Society has complete set as would university libraries
in Neb.  Any of this group's mbrs have these bklts & if so which countys (at
least 2 were done on a regional basis, i.e I have one for NE Neb)?  For
modelers there are vintage photos of special trains carrying Neb ag
specials.  Q also issued some post cards relating to Neb agriculture showing
int & ext of special trains.

Q also issued several state-wide Nebraska brochures.  From the time of B&MR,
it  was the prime area to encourage settlers and the business they
ulitmately gave the Burlington.  Colorado, Wyoming &  Kansas got similar
treatment & there is even one for "the Blue Grass area of Iowa"!  (to
encourage settlers from Ky & Tenn I suppose as have never heard any other
entity refer to part of Iowa as "blue grass").
Overton's book "Burlington West" does a better job than any other book out
there (take that UP & Santa Fe!) of explaining how & why the B&MR/Q used
their land grants to develop their part of the west.

Gerald A. Edgar

230 W. 5th St.
Garner, IA 50438-1404

(641) 923-2573

Gerald A. Edgar

230 W. 5th St.
Garner, IA 50438-1404

(641) 923-2573

Get MSN 8 Dial-up Internet Service FREE for one month.  Limited time offer--
sign up now!   http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!