[BRHSlist] Rosemont Hobby Show Burlington Route Report...

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Rosemont Hobby Show Burlington Route Report...
From: atsf3460@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:45:58 EDT
Last Sunday I visited the hobby industry show up at Rosemont, IL and saw the
following Burlington Route typs stuff coming out:

Broadway Limited Imports had their E7s on display and one running.  Very
nice!  Better paint and finish than the Proto 2000s, a much more realistic
operating Mars light and sound system.  Hard to really judge the sound system.
Numberboards are well done with lights - looks to be some sort of photographic
film
for the boards possibly?  Had a pre-production sample of the USRA heavy mike
on display also.

Challenger Imports had a pre-production "Q" M2a 2-10-2 on display - very
nice.  What we've come to expect from Challenger and their Burlington
locomotives.

Railway Classics had they're Nebraska Zephyr sets on display with their
Zephyr / Pegasus shovelnose EA diesels that have been out.  They had just
arrived
that week from their builder.  Just gorgeous sets!  These guys have got a bunch
of "Q" stuff coming out.  More passenger stuff and all sorts of waycars.

Off the top of my head that's what I recall seeing.  Surprisingly, the one
item shown there that totally blew me away was the HO scale live steam
streamlined Mallard British locomotive Hornby was showing.  Boiler in the
tender heated
by DC current.  Steam goes up into locomotive where it goes thru a
superheater and then into valves which are regulated with a DC motor and then
into
cylinders to work the pistons.  The thing even has a real whistle!  Controls
are
done with special transformers and basically you just add oil and water to the
engine.  Got a kick out of seeing the pop valve lift on it!

Mike Martin / Peoria Heights, IL

Special Sale: 50% off ReplayTV
Easily record your favorite shows!
CNet Ranked #1 over Tivo!