[BRHSlist] Atlas SD24 and U30C

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Atlas SD24 and U30C
From: "thommack" <mack@chmack.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 14:14:36 -0000
I'm excited too about the SD24 release. I really didn't expect to
see the SD24 coming since so few roads ran them. Also, I didn't
notice that the decoder equipped units were different numbers than
the non-decoder equipped.

1. Anyone know if the non-decoder units can have a decoder added
later? (Jim???)

2. Anyone with decoder units want to swap some shells (once the
units come out)? I would like to have at least 3, maybe four of the
SD24's. If some of us swapped shells, that could give the decoder
guys numbers 502/506 and us analog guys 504/515. Please let me know
if anyone is interested in this.

On the U30C, its an awesome model, but not C&S prototype. The C&S
units were Phase I, this is a Phase III. I thought the only
differences were minor - the Phase I's had little "wings" joining
the top of the radiator section to the long hood (the Athearn shell
has these) and the lead grill in the radiator area is high, not low.
That might be easy enough to change or ignore, but the biggest
difference is the battery boxes on the left side (maybe right side
as well). On a Phase I they extended back 3 handrail stanchions, all
the way past the front of the fuel tank. On the Phase III (see the
picture on the Atlas web site) they only go back two stanchions. So
we'll have to wait for a Phase I body, hopefully to come.

In the meantime, hopefully this is also a sign that we will see more
U-boats from Atlas.

BTW, you can contact Atlas at either csdept@atlasrr.com for customer
service or hoscale@atlasrr.com for HO product development - Let's
all thank them for the great new Hart Ballast cars (and remember to
suggest CB&Q for their next run!) and the new SD24's!

Tom Mack

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM