Re: [BRHSlist] Car seals...bananas and other trivia

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Car seals...bananas and other trivia
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 21:46:06 -0700 (PDT)
Pete
I remember the old charcoal (and wood alcohol) banana
heaters. They would fill the car with carbon monoxide
and KILL yard clerks.  Just another way that death
danced in the train yard. One of the perks of being
around the stations that handled the heaters, was that
you could get free charcoal for the grill at home! All
in all perishable inspectors had a pretty good job.
Most of them got all the fresh fruit they could eat.
By the way, at the end of the banana trade, the
messengers quit traveling with the fruit, and just
inspected the cars and adjusted the vents at fixed
locations.
John

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511